The ever increasing developments in longboard use as an outdoor sport have made most parents turn their attention to this hitherto forgotten sport of yore. Though this notwithstanding the fact that it has been around for time immemorial, it has become the talk of town.
- Longboard racing has dominated most of the areas of the Alps and Australia in particular where it forms the biggest chunk of leisure sports among the youth.
- In the recent past, you are likely to see children cruising around the streets of most urban canters thus taking the sport right into the streets.
- In fact, it is one of the best instruments to cruise around leisurely without having to be confined to any field or track.
- The nature of this sport is wonderful in its self with the smooth motion added to the additional momentum provided by its fantastic design. This is what allows for some of the most amazing turns.
The thin line between the longboard and the skateboard may not be easy to differentiate; this makes most people to usually take them for skateboards. However, when looked at closely, the longboard has quite distinct features which make it unique.
What are the longboard features?
Longboards, to any layman may just be just special skateboards. The only difference which is notable may be the build and the manner in which it slides smoothly into space with its ecstatic wheels.
Some of the distinguishing areas of the longboard when compared to the skateboard are:
- It is longer than the skateboard.
- The speed of the longboard is above the skates.
- They are closer to the ground.
- The boards are more stable given the center of gravity.
- They are heavier.
The longboard has been coming in all shades and color. There are certain longboard sizes which have been seen to have the versatility to sustain the pressure on it during the skating.
Some of the well known longboard shape designs include:
- The drop through which exploit the use of a cutout which then makes the base plates to be easy to mount.
- The hybrid design with wheel cutouts allowing for the more stability in the course of use.
- Truck design which are just a mechanism comprising the metallic component which makes the longboard to be attached the deck.
- The bushings which allow for ease of change on the track which makes the longboard use more commendable.
- Riser pads which are also important in increasing the wheel distance space thus making the wheel to turn smoothly.
- The pitfalls which are just designs meant to keep the longboard wheel from brushing on it.
How do the longboards work?
While the longboard wheel is the most visible part, the upper part is also important because it is the area where the feet of the user gets to grip on.
The wheels are made to glide smoothly with the use of some of the best bearings. The bearings used on the boards are made with the versatility in mind to allow for longer use.
Longboards are made with several diverse ranges of wheels, with most just made to suit the taste of those who are going to use it. For instance, the offset wheels, side set wheels and the center rest wheels are all meant to give the racer a smooth glide.
What aides their use?
The use of longboards is usually made from decks. These are usually just materials arising from the design of the board to make it stiffer.
The diverse types of longboard are known to operate differently and thus may not uniform. For instance, the concave drop feature on most of these boards is quite common.
These drops are known to give the board more stability with the protruding base plate as one of its strengths.
With certain leverages, the increased design makes the wheels have better grip thus allowing for better movement as the longboard slides smoothly down the hill.
Just like in most of the skating and skiing activities, the issue of taking precaution is however not something worth throwing to the dogs. One is likely to experience dizziness when starting off and may cause eminent danger and so injuries are abound
Using the longboard then compels the individual to use the helmet which is a common feature in most high risk sports.
This is founded on the fact that an individual could fall down in the course of its use and injure himself, especially on the head with grave consequences.
Whichever outdoor enjoyments you are planning this summer, trying out this racing will definitely change your perception. But before that, why not get an appropriate longboard racing gear!