When it comes to longboard wheels, it is important to understand that longboard wheel is a product in a consistent revolution, which means there can be endless wheels with variety of sizes and shapes due to the development of technology and preference.
Thus, it can be confusing to pick out the best longboard wheels.
No worry, we’re here to help you with that. Today we would like to present to you some good wheels from the biggest names in longboard market.
Characteristics of longboard wheels
To those who still have just a little clue about longboard wheels, there are 6 key characteristics that determine how good the wheels perform:
1. Size (Diameter): The size of the wheels will affect acceleration, momentum, and how smooth when riding. The common size of longboard wheels is 65- 80mm.
2. Lips: The outer edges of the contact patch, has great impact on the feel of the riders.
3. Contact patch: The rounded surface directly contact to the ground. It normally ranges from 29- 70mm for longboard wheels.
4. Durometer (Hardness): Determine how hardthe polyurethane is. The softer the wheels are, the easier it grips. Generally, longboard wheels’durometer is about 75- 88A.
5. Core size and shape: Determine the way the wheels interact to the ground and the ability to control at speed
6. Core placement: There are 3 main categories of core placement:
– Centerset: Has the cores placed directly into the center of the wheels and help riders get the majority of grips
– Sideset: Has cores aligned with the inner lip of wheels, provides the least grips.
– Offset: Has the core placed between Sideset and Centerset. This can accommodate many styles of riding because of its flexibility.
BEST WHEELS FOR CRUISING
As cruising wheels are concerned, the 2 most important determinants are wheel diameter and durometer, color is considered unnecessary.
Diameter: Generally, you would want taller wheels for large boards and smaller wheels for smaller decks. Some examples:
– Wheels for Large decks (34- 42”)
- BIGFOOT Longboard Wheels 76MM 80A SHR MOUNTAIN CRUISERS Translucent Purple
- Shark Wheel High Performance Skateboard Wheels SIDEWINDER 70mm 78A
- Landyachtz Mini Monster Hawgs 70mm Longboard Wheels
– Wheels for Small decks (Below 34”)
- Shark Wheel California Rolls Skateboard Wheels 60mm, 78a
- Ricta Clouds White 78a Skateboard Wheels (57 mm)
- OJ 97a Bloodsuckers 3 Wheels, 60mm, Green/Black
Durometer: The hardness of wheels basically depends on personal preference. You would want the wheels that make you comfortable when riding.
– Softer wheels (75- 80a): roll over anything more easily and go faster on rough pavement. It provides you more control in the slide because of the grips and it has the tendency to smear on the road.
- Choice 78a Longboard Wheels (Offset)
- Aerial Wheels "STREET SURFER" Longboard Wheels (Set of 4)
- Broad Bay Boards Salt Licks Longboard Hybrid Wheels 70mm 80a
– Harder wheels (83- 88a): It’s easier to break into the slide because of less grip, and it has the tendency to glide across the ground.
- GOLDCOAST LONGBOARD WHEELS 70MM/85A - THE SHRED BOOT
- Kryptonic Route 70mm 83A Skateboard Wheels, Red
- Fireball Scorch Longboard Skateboard Wheels for Cruising and Downhill Riding, 71mm in 81a, 84a, 87a (Set of 4)
BEST WHEELS FOR FREERIDING/SLIDING
Freeriding is well- known as the style for flexibility and creativity; it’s all about tricks and slides. Therefore, it is more likely to pay attention at the lip profile, core placement and diameter.
Lip profile: If you want a slide wheel or freeride wheel, or want something to break traction when needed to, a rounded lip wheel would do you good. Some good suggestions:
- ABEC 11 Skateboards Freeride Centerset Green Skateboard Wheels - 72mm 84a (Set of 4)
- Blood Orange Morgan Pro Series 70mm 82A Wheels
- Remember Collective Lil' Hoots Longboard Wheels
Core placement: Centerset might be the priority when it comes to freeriding because you’re going to have a narrow contact patch with your freeride wheels, so with centerset, you will have more grip to compensate.
- NordiK Freeride Center Set 70mm 80a Ghost Longboard Wheels - Set of 4
- FreeRide 70mm Center Set Street Cruiser Wheels, 78A
- RAD Rider Approved Designs Release 72mm 80a Red Longboard Skateboard Wheels
Diameter: The ideal size of a freeride wheel ranges from 68- 72mm
From my perspective, I’m also a big fan of freeriding and I have my own board too. After trying many types of wheel, I think I’ve finally found the most suitable freeride wheels and I would like to share my choice with all of you
Orangatang may be the popular name with majority of freeriders for the most iconic longboard wheel shapes, urethane formulas, and videos. There are still many reasons why I am crazy of these extraordinary wheels :
- Designed to grip when wanted and to slide smoothly when desired
- Intended to enhance the current caliber of freeride longboard riding
- Having wide contact patches to provide dependable grip
- Stimulus wheels are intended for grip, hard carving and consistent, controlled slides.
BEST WHEELS FOR DOWNHILL RIDING
Downhill riding is all about speed. So we have to take into consideration some factors impacting on riders when they are at high speed.
Lip profile: A sharp lip would give you a lot of control in a fast ride because it provides more grip by grabbing the road and avoiding break traction.
- Sector 9 Race Formula Skateboard Wheel, Blue, 74mm 80A
- Sector 9 Nine Ball 69Mm 78A
- NordiK Titan 75mm 78a White Downhill Longboard Wheels
Diameter: Downhill wheels are commonly 70- 75mm diameter. The small wheels will run the risk of wearing out (especially in downhill riding), the big wheels may lead to wheel bite.
Durometer: 80a wheels are the most common because it gives you nice balance of high grip.
Core placement: I would recommend offset wheels because it has a lot of grips, makes it easier to brake in and out of your slides and provides friendly hook- up.
- Arbor Summit 78A Skateboard Wheels (Set of 4)
- ORANGATANG KEGEL Longboard Wheels 80mm 83a PURPLE
- RAD Rider Approved Designs Advantage 74mm 78a White Longboard Skateboard Wheels
In a nutshell, there are many great wheels designed to fit with many styles of longboarding. With a view to finding best wheels for longboard, you have to weigh up pros and cons and choose wisely. I hope after reading our guideline and taking into consideration many suggestions, you’ve known which one is best for you and I believe you will enjoy riding more and more. And now read how to choosing best longboard bearings !!